Skip to main content

Miles 0-360

KTOY 2018 Team at Newman University
In a district, seven-seat Dodge Caravan, I began my KTOY 2018 Team adventure this week. Our team had scheduled most of our college and district visits, so it was time to meet face-to-face to nail down our collaborative message and delegate duties on the very big list of to-dos. Each team member brought something amazing to the table, and our planning session ended with success.

Gil secured us the perfect room on the Newman University campus. Sam set our direction with a detailed agenda. Jamie and Sarah provided us all of their scheduling prowess. Jennifer kept us warm with snazzy jackets from her PTO, as well as her compassion for others. Megan gave us all of the #enthusiasm any team would ever need. Brad inspired us with our "Mission: Possible" theme. We all marveled at how close we felt with each other, despite the fact that most of us had only met one time before.  We all appreciated how our individual talents naturally dovetailed to create such an amazing team.

Our team is comprised of moms and dads and coaches and mentors. We feel a shared anxiety about being the best moms and dads and coaches and mentors we can be, while also fully experiencing this wonderful opportunity. I know that I will have to trust my support system at Olathe Northwest High School to watch our for my students, as well as my daughter, as I visit college campuses and districts across the state. I can't decide if I am more excited about sharing how to create a safe and affirming climate with preservice teachers, learning from other school districts, or speaking in Topeka to the Senate and House Education committees.  Each opportunity I share with this team is one that I will cherish. I can't wait to become the better teacher and advocate that this opportunity is going to make me!

If you'd like to track the KTOY 2018 Team's adventures across Kansas, check us out on Twitter, Facebook, or Google Maps.




Comments